Sunday 21 August 2011

The Yoke of Service-About my Father's Business

Jesus was only 12 years of age when, on a yearly temple visit, He went missing. His parents anxiously sought after Him and eventually found Him in the temple, talking earnestly with the learned men. The doctors and elders marveled at his understanding for a youth of such tender age. When His parents asked why He had stayed behind and caused them so much anxiety, He replied: “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about my Father’s business?” [Luke 2:42-52]

Jesus’ entire life was spent doing the Will of His Father [John 4:34]. He went about doing good, healing and setting at liberty all who were oppressed by the evil one. His meat was to do His Father’s Will and to finish the work.

Jesus has bid all who are weary and heavy laden to come to Him and rest. However, the rest He offers is not a passive rest of inactive lethargy. Instead He offers to exchange your yoke of sin, bondage and the cares of this world for a yoke of service which is “easy and light.”[Matt 11:28-30]

God sent Jesus into the world for a purpose-to redeem us from our sins and to show us the way to the Father. Just as the Father sent Jesus into the world, so He sends us out to finish the work [John 17:18].  He has left nothing undone for our salvation. Now He bids us to go and tell the world of His marvelous grace and redeeming love. Jesus’ heart beats for the lost children of this world. His passion should be our passion. His mission should be ours.

He has left each of us a special work to do in the Great Commission [Matt 28:18-20]. He has given gifts to be used earnestly in this service. It is time to stop playing church and start working for God. The church has been asleep for long enough. It is now time to cast off the cloak of slumber and get moving for God! Time is fast running out, and the harvest is ready yet workers are still few.

It is encouraging to have attended the last Church Business meeting and to know that there are plans to get everyone actively involved in the mission of promoting the Good News of the Gospel beyond the walls of our church. We must pray that the Lord of the Harvest would send us forth as His workers to complete the Mission that He saw fit to entrust us with.

Let us get enthusiastic as we go about our Father’s business with zeal.

Scripture refs:Luk 2:42-52, Jn 4:34, Jn 17:18, Matt 11:28-30, Matt 28:18-20, Hab 2:2)

"In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat? Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work."- John 4:31-34


"As thou [Father] hast sent me [Jesus] into the world, even so have I also sent them [ my disciples] into the world."-John 17:18


"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."-Matt 11:28-30

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."-Matt 28:18-20