Sunday 21 August 2011

The Secret to Contentment Part 4-A Learned Behaviour

Have you ever wondered why some people seem to have it all, yet never find true happiness? Scripture is fraught with examples and wise lessons on how being physically rich in the wares and treasures of this world makes it even harder to find entrance into the Kingdom of God. Since the Kingdom of God begins in our hearts, if our hearts are full of restless striving for worldly treasures, one can clearly see the problem! Jesus Himself said that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. (Matt 19:24) The love of money is the root of all evil, and those who possess such greed will never experience true contentment. It is not impossible for rich people to enter into Heaven; it’s just a lot harder! (1 Tim 6:10)
True contentment comes from recognizing the value of the eternal and unsearchable riches of God’s grace. After all, your heart is where your treasure lies (Matt 6:19-21). Those who practice the art of contentment make it look easy! However, contentment is a behaviour that often comes by way of learning some hard life lessons. I must confess, I myself only started experiencing contentment after the year 2008 which to me was one of the worst years of my life! It took  spending my first stint in hospital, escaping unscathed from two car accidents (one from a horse and trailer truck which would have demolished my poor Tazz had it not been for the hand of God), having one cell phone destroyed from liquid damage and another stolen, together with a season of unemployment and depression to teach me contentment. Yet despite this, I consider it one of the most valuable gifts I have been given – the ability to treasure and savour each passing moment of life, valuing it for the precious gift of God it really is.
The Apostle Paul states in Phil 4:11-13: “…for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” From this, we can clearly see that contentment exists in the heart of one who is totally surrendered to God and who gives up his own willful passions, plans and desires placing them subject to the Will of God. In this he takes up his cross and follows the Master, and in denying himself he finds true contentment (Matt 16:24-26). Contentment is a learned behaviour. It is when everything is stripped away from us that we learn that we really don’t need that much to survive after all! God will take care of you; if you make His business your priority, He will make your business His priority. (Is 33:6,16)